Listed: May 16, 2018
4 Trades Apprenticeships, in partnership with the Dunedin Botanic Garden, is seeking an experienced and motivated person to fill the position of Aviary Assistant at Dunedin Botanic Garden. This is a great opportunity to get into Aviculture and Bird husbandry at the Dunedin Botanic Garden Aviaries.
This position is for 20 hours a week and includes weekend work. The role involves working closely with the Aviary Curator as well as working unsupervised. As this role has a strong husbandry component, it would be preferred that the applicant has previous experience in captive animal management or large bird keeping. Preferred applicants would have a qualification in captive animal management or Veterinary Nursing, however applicants will be considered without this experience if they have other skills relevant to the position.
The successful applicant will be tasked with:
• Daily feeding
• Handling large parrots
• Good observational skills
We are looking for someone with:
• A passion for caring for Native and Exotic bird species in a captive environment;
• A high standard of work ethic (this is very important as the role involves working in a public setting);
• A good level of fitness, who is able to cope with a physically demanding role;
• A genuine interest in, and capable of developing expertise in, sharing knowledge and learning experiences with a wide range of visitors of all ages.
If you possess the above mentioned skills and attributes and are interested in applying for this fulfilling position, please request a full application pack from;
4 Trades Apprenticeships
PO Box 5782, Dunedin
Phone: 03 479 0181
Applications close at 5pm on Thursday 31 May 2018.